It should come as no surprise that Americans care about how their teeth look. It has been estimated that more than 99.7% of people think that having a good looking smile is important to their social lives. At least 74% of people in the United States think that how their smile looks can impact how they do in their careers. At least 32% of people around the country are concerned about the look of their smile and 18% will try to hide their smile in photos. These are the reasons that so many people go to their dentist to have teeth whitening done. Every year, Americans spend $1.4 billion on tooth whitening products.
The good news is that people do not have to go to dentistry experts to get whiter teeth. There are some things you can do at home to advance your teeth whitening efforts. Here are a few:
- Change out your toothbrush as recommended. Despite caring around how our teeth look, at least 75% of all people do not switch out their toothbrushes as often as they should. People should get a new toothbrush when they see the bristles start to go, this is usually after about three months of regular usage. Once the bristles are worn down, the toothbrush is not able to effectively clean the teeth anymore.
- Do not neglect your tongue. Dentists recommend people brush their tongues in addition to their teeth. There is a lot of bacteria that likes to live on your tongue. This can be damaging to your teeth. Take a soft toothbrush and swipe it from the back to the front. Rinse the toothbrush between swipes on the tongue. This action will get rid of the bacteria and help prevent the discoloration it can cause.
- Add raw produce to your diet. The act of eating crunchy foods such as raw vegetables, fruits and nuts can help keep your teeth clean. Eating these kinds of foods can be helpful in removing plaque from your teeth. These foods are good for you and they are good for your oral health.
- Use apple cider vinegar. If you are looking for a. organic and natural way to get your mouth as clean as possible, apple cider vinegar is recommended by a number of dentists. It is not going to get your teeth as white as some of the other whitening rinses that are on the market but it can get your mouth clean naturally. You should not use straight apple cider vinegar but mix one part apple cider vinegar with two parts water to create a solution that will clean your teeth.
- Switch from whitening strips to trays. Using whitening products that come with trays rather than the strips is a more effective way to get your teeth white at home. The trays will allow you to get more of your teeth white and can get more of the whitening product on your teeth.
- Rinse out your mouth after eating citrus fruits. There are a lot of good reasons to eat citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruits and pineapples. They have a lot of vitamin C and taste great. The problem is they are very acidic. After you eat these fruits or drink the juice, if you rinse out your mouth with water, you will do a real solid for your teeth.
- Avoid baking soda. People often think that using baking soda, or products with baking soda, is a good way to clean their teeth. As much as this substance can get your teeth cleaner and whiter, it is abrasive and can damage your sensitive enamel. At the beginning, it will whiten your teeth but as it damages the enamel, it can have the opposite effect on your teeth.
- Rinse your teeth after eating darker foods. Soy sauce, blueberries, red wine and marinara sauce are all examples of foods and drinks that can stain your teeth. If you want to enjoy these but do not want to stain your teeth, take care to rinse out your mouth after you eat them, just like you do after eating and drinking citrus.
Following these tips can keep your teeth looking great.