Around the world, it’s an unfortunate fact that someone has a limb amputated every 30 seconds. This amounts to over one million limb amputations every year. In the United States, there are approximately 1.9 million people that have experienced the loss of a limb and are currently living with this situation.
On an annual basis, 185,000 people in the United States need to have a limb amputated. The most common reasons to have this procedure performed are due to vascular disease and trauma. The former is the case with 54% of these amputations, and the latter is the case with 45%. The Center for Orthotic and Prosthetic Care reported that while 86% of the amputations performed were for a lower limb, the remaining 14% were for an upper limb.
While it is considered to be the least common, congenital amputati Continue reading