If there’s anything you should know about Western aesthetic values, it’s that we absolutely love our teeth. In a recent AACD survey, an overhwelming 99.7% of adults reported that having a healthy smile was socially important. Additionally, almost three-quarters of adults feel that having an unattractive smile can hurt their career success, while 32% of people report that they are “concerned by the look of their teeth.”
Given this clear obsession with having the pearly whites out there, it may strike you as odd when you find out that the state of oral hygiene in the United States isn’t exactly bright and sparkling at the moment. Statistically speaking, 78% of people have a cavity by the age of 17. Additionally, 74% of individuals have periodontal disease, which is considered a serious threat to dental health.
So what’s the deal? The truth is? Americans sometimes fail to understand that good oral hygiene wasn’t just about teeth whitening. Rather, it involves a lot of care and maintenance.
Want to have perfect dental health? Read the tips below to have the bright, healthy smile you’ve always dreamed of:
- Brush your teeth twice a day. When brushing, go in slow, gentle circles.
- Floss after meals. This will keep harmful bacteria out of the crevices of your teeth.
- Get regular dental cleanings. Visiting your dentist for regular dental cleanings is the best path to excellent oral health.
- Avoid poor habits that lead to poor health and tooth decay such as smoking, alcohol consumption, and a high-sugar diet.
- Speaking of diet, eat healthily. Drink lots of water and eat naturally occurring foods. Try to stay away from sugar and excessive starches.
- Rinse! After flossing, it’s important to rinse your mouth out to keep those nasty bacteria away from your pearly whites.
So there you have it! How do you keep your teeth healthy? Share your tips below! Get more on this here. Links like this.